Ello is the new kid on the social media block. Lots of people are signing up to check it out… and getting a little stuck. This guide might not answer all your questions, but it should give you a good chance at figuring out the basics:
1. Where Can I Find Help, Tips & A FAQ? There are a few things that might help. First is clicking the WTF in the lower left-hand corner of the screen. This will provide you links to Ello’s Help, About and Policies pages. The most useful will likely be the Help page as it links to Tips and the FAQ. Next up is the page for user @cacheflowe. When you signed up, they became your first friend. They’re a good friend to have, as info on what is being fixed and developed for the site can be found on their profile page. Definitely check it out. Lastly, there’s the good old Google search, which turned up a how-to for Ello on Tom’s Guide.
2. How Do I Find My Friends? The search function will let you locate people by username. To search, click on the Discover icon (a person with a plus sign on their shoulder in the upper left-hand part of the screen) and type in your friend’s username (e.g. cacheflowe). Search results should pare down as you type. It turns out that the foolproof way to find your friends by username is to play ‘URL Fill in the Blank’. For example, if your friend’s username is @bobbyjean, you can jump right to their Ello page by typing in: ello.co/bobbyjean – it’s that simple. [NOTE: As of 10/1/14 the ‘Discover’ feature isn’t extremely useful in searching by a user’s actual name (e.g. ‘Robin Smith’), but that functionality will likely improve in time.]
3. How Do I Add Friends? Once you’re on a friend’s Ello page, you click either Friend or Noise in the upper right-hand corner to add them to your feed. According to Ello, “We built two different streams, called FRIENDS and NOISE, to contain clutter and keep Ello organized.” For a full rundown of how these two streams work, visit the Ello Tips page. Advanced Tip: Once you’ve found a friend’s page, look beneath their username and click on Following or Followers. In the list that pops up, if you see someone you know (or find interesting) you can just click on that user’s image and drag-and-drop it into your Friends or Noise boxes on the left side of the screen. Now you’re following them!
4. What Happens If I Click The Smiley Face? That’s the equivalent of a ‘home’ button. It will take you back to your feeds page (on which you can toggle between the Friends and Noise feeds).
5. What Happens If I Click The 3 Lines? This just makes the icons for ‘Discover’, ‘Invite’ and ‘Settings’ either appear or disappear, depending on what’s currently on your screen.
6. How Do I Post? On any screen, you can post by clicking on what Ello calls the omnibar. You can also drag-and-drop content into it. Rather than re-describe it, here’s Ello’s take on what it is and how to use it.
7. How Do I Tag/Mention A User In A Post? Much like Twitter or Instagram, when you put a person’s username preceded by an ‘@’ in any post, they’ll be notified that you mentioned them. (e.g. “Pretty crazy running into @bobbyjean today!”)
8. How Do I Post On A Friend’s Page? When you’re on a friend’s page, you’ll see the omnibar at the top. Add content there to post to their page.
9. How Do I Comment On Posts? Underneath the post you want to comment on, click the icon of three dots and it will open up a comment window for you.
10. Can I Unfriend People? Sure thing. Visit their page and click on Friends or Noise (whichever category they’re in) in the upper right-hand corner and it will essentially unfriend them. Don’t worry, you can always add them back later if you choose.
Hope this helps. Cheers!